Security Camera Software
There’s a number of software applications that can turn your computer and webcam into a surveillance system, each has its own pros and cons with different features. There are some that are difficult to configure which are meant for more advanced users while there are also user friendly ones that are lightweight. Below you can find our recommended list of 12 free webcam monitoring software based on your needs.
Video Management Software (VMS) plays a crucial role in managing your IP camera system. One of the most notable aspects of VMS is that you do not necessarily need a network video recorder (NVR) to store, record, or view your security cameras. Typically designed to work on a Windows or Unix/Linux server, security camera software allows IP camera users to monitor one or more of their surveillance cameras simultaneously (if desired). While you can view your network security cameras from an actual web browser, you’re limited to the number of options and features available, meaning you can usually just view your surveillance system versus managing and recording it.
There are multiple IP security camera software solutions available today to suit your distinct security needs. Many IP camera manufacturers offer their own proprietary VMS, while some companies like Milestone solely provide a myriad of cutting-edge VMS platforms. Some users prefer NVRs over surveillance camera software. It’s important to note that many developers of VMS deliver just as much flexibility and video intelligence as NVRs do.
IP Surveillance Camera Software Features
If you opt to use VMS instead of an NVR, then it’s important to know the features that come with your security camera software. The majority of IP security camera software platforms have built-in video analytics to optimize the performance of your IP security cameras.
Some of the standard features on IP surveillance camera software include the following:
- Search functions to review specific recorded events
- Simultaneous viewing to monitor several of your IP cameras at once
- Alarm management utilities that can be configured to notify you or set of an external alarm if someone or something is tampering with your camera
- Wide variety of recording options, from continuous and scheduled recording to alarm and motion recording
- Frame rate control and the ability to process a large amount of data
- Digital control of PTZ cameras as well as dome cameras
- Video compression functions to save bandwidth
- Audio capabilities
- Video playback
- Storage capacity with the use of a Micro SD card (depends on the VMS brand)
- Export images / recordings
Keep an eye on your home, place of business, cars, and valuables; watch your pets or your kids; monitor your nanny, babysitter, or employees. Watch your door for mail, packages or visitors. Use motion detection, audio detection, or capture continuously. Receive alerts via loudspeaker, e-mail or phone.
Not all security camera software is created equal. Sighthound Video puts powerful computer vision technology that is normally only deployed by government agencies into software you can have up and running in minutes.
Talk about benefits, and variety of such products and tips on buying such products